Where Are They Now?

Amy Clark, MDS Graduate

Amy Clark Photo

Amy Clark graduated from Boise State’s Multidisciplinary Studies program in spring 2017.

While working on her degree she began a new career as a Financial Professional where she is helping others reach their life goals. Amy took classes both on the Boise State main campus and online and has great advice for other students that are trying to balance life, work, and school.

How did you find the MDS Degree?

I was searching the BSU website hoping to find a few classes that I could take that would further my education and eventually lead me to a degree. I was so pleased to find the MDS Degree that was perfect for me.

Why did you choose MDS?

I had always wanted to get my degree and I had quite a few credits already. I had owned several businesses and had a ton of life experience, so the name alone was enough to convince me. I was Multi-disciplined in my life. The fact that I could essentially take the life skills I had and the credits I had and wrap them into a perfect little package was awesome.

Why is it important for you to finish what you started?

I had always felt that I had failed in college and I didn’t think that I would ever be able to move on from that until I received my degree. It is such a feeling of accomplishment to finally be graduating. If I can accomplish this, I can accomplish anything.

What are your plans after you complete the MDS degree?

I will be working as a Financial Professional with New York Life. Through all of my life experience, and now my degree, I really feel prepared to help people reach their own goals in their life.

Do you take courses on campus or online? If online, do you like the online program?

I took classes both on campus and online. I really wanted to have the experience of classes in person, but I also had a full-time job, so I needed to take some online. I have a minor in Psychology, and there aren’t many psychology classes online, so I took those on campus. I like doing both. I was able to do the online classes on my own time, but I had the interaction with students and was able to make some new friends.

What are you passionate about? How have you been able to incorporate your passions into your degree?

I am passionate about helping people. I want everyone to succeed at something. I have been able to do some service learning that has incorporated my passions which has been great!

What advice can you give to a current or future MDS student?

Just do it! Do one assignment at a time and don’t give up. Sometimes it feels like a long road, but it goes faster than you think and soon you will be graduating.

What was your greatest challenge during the MDS program and how did you overcome it?

My greatest challenge was starting my career a year before I graduated. The timing was a little bit crazy, but I just kept taking the next step and doing the next thing. This year has gone so fast.

How would you say MDS is different from other degree programs?

It is really great for students that don’t really know what they want to do when they grow up. Through the whole process, I was able to explore myself and figure out what I really wanted to do as a career.

What extracurricular activities were you involved in?

I play ice hockey and golf. However, I was recruited by my New York Life about a year ago, so I have spent a lot of the last year working on training with them. I have loved every minute of it and between work and school, I am ready for anything.

What would people be surprised to know about you?

That I am a 45 and play ice hockey. I didn’t start until I was 38 and It is the most fun thing I have ever done. I play on a women’s team and we travel to different places to play in tournaments.

This entry was posted in Where are they now?. Bookmark the permalink.